Manhunt for Maine Shooter Ends in Suspect’s Self-Inflicted Death
On Friday night, the manhunt for the shooting suspect, 40-year-old Army Reservist Robert Card, ended when his body was discovered in the woods by a recycling facility that is believed to be his previous place of employment. The gunman was found clothed in the same attire he was wearing during the shooting on Wednesday, according to Maine Sen. Angus King.
Robert Card was identified as the “person of interest” in the case after law enforcement officials released photos of him armed with a high-powered assault-style rifle. His vehicle and a firearm were located at a boat launch shortly after the shooting occurred, as reported by law enforcement.
“Like many people, I’m breathing a sigh of relief tonight, knowing that Robert Card is no longer a threat,” Maine Gov. Janet Mills said in a press conference Friday night. She expressed the need for healing, acknowledging that law enforcement will continue to investigate the case thoroughly to bring closure to the victims and their families.
According to reports, the suspected gunman claimed to be “hearing voices” and made alarming threats of carrying out a shooting at a military base located in Saco, Maine. In July, he started “behaving erratically,” and he was committed to a mental health facility for two weeks, as reported by CBS News.
“He was picking up voices that he had never heard; his mind was twisting them around. He was humiliated by the things that he thought were being said.” the shooter’s sister-in-law Katie Card told NBC News.
Documents show the gunman’s sole encounter with the Maine criminal justice system in April 2007, after he was arrested for operating a vehicle under the influence. He later pleaded guilty to this offense. Other legal records associated with the suspected shooter are related to a divorce.
Wednesday’s massacre marked a grim milestone as the deadliest shooting in Maine’s history after the city was plunged into chaos when a lone gunman left a trail of devastation in his demise.
Officials reported the initial alert about the shootings on Wednesday occurred at 6:56 p.m. after receiving a call about an incident at Just-In-Time Recreation, a bowling alley. Shortly after, another call was received at 7:08 p.m. about a shooting at Schemengees Bar and Grille, located only four miles away.
Over the last two days, numerous local communities in Maine had been placed under shelter-in-place advisories, which resulted in canceled school sessions and residents being strongly encouraged to remain indoors. These shelter-in-place procedures were lifted on Friday.
The horrific shooting on Wednesday stole the lives of 16 men and two women, whose ages varied from 14 to 76, as confirmed by officials on Friday. Maine State Police reported that seven individuals lost their lives at the Just-In-Time Recreation bowling alley, while another eight were lost at Schemengees Bar and Grille. Three additional victims succumbed to their injuries after being transported to hospitals.
The Lewiston community is left to grapple with the weight of this tragedy as questions surrounding the incident’s motives and the broader issue of gun violence continue to build.
The victims were identified by Maine officials on Friday:
Ronald G. Morin, 55
Peyton Brewer Ross, 40,
Joshua A. Seal, 36
Bryan M. MacFarlane, 41
Joseph Lawrence Walker, 57
Arthur Fred Strout, 42
Maxx A. Hathaway, 35
Stephen M. Vozzella, 45
Thomas Ryan Conrad, 34
Michael R. Desiauriers II, 51
Jason Adam Walker, 51
Tricia C. Asselin, 53
William A. Young, 44
Aaron Young, 14
Robert E. Violette, 76
Lucille M. Violette, 73
William Frank Brackett, 48
Keith D. Macneir, 64